Sunday 16 January 2011

A-Z #11: Angela's Ashes

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a buck each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and justifying why I own the films...




#11 - Angela's Ashes

Why did I buy it?

One Christmas my Mum and Dad had recently moved back to Limerick and explained to me how Angela's Ashes was set and filmed on location in Limerick. Strangely enough, Frank McCourt has written two books Sarah absolutely adored - Angela's Ashes and 'Tis - whilst I had read, while training to be a teacher - Teacher Man. Because Sarah and I enjoyed his prose and my parents lived where it was located, it seemed appropriate to purchase the film and actually know how how good it was.

Why do I still own it?

Good question. I think there is something heritage-ish about it. I am Irish born and ... well, not really bred, because we moved when I was two. Thus, no Irish accent and only family members to remind me of the Irish heritage I possess. Nevertheless, though my Mum was never the child in the street collecting coal, she was in Limerick within 30 years of the events depicted in Angela's Ashes so I am sure there is some link there - and I think, this film holds this little key to a world I wish I knew so much more about.
Remember - you can always email The Simon and Jo Film Show directly using this email: simonandjoshow@gmail.com
We are also on Twitter  and Facebook.

Large Association of Movie Blogs


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.