Tuesday 1 February 2011

A-Z #24: Black Hawk Down

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a buck each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and justifying why I own the films...


#24 - Black Hawk Down 

Why did I buy it?

I did not watch this at the cinema - one of those films which was under my radar at a time in my life whereby my radar for film and cinema was not as wide as it is now. I only watched it on a whim as a recommendation - if I recall correctly, it was Rhys at Uni. Upon that first watch I was hooked and had intended to buy it early on - in retrospect, I should have bought whichever version was cheapest and available. Instead I waited for the sweet triple-disc package was released and prided myself on the sweet version of Black Hawk Down.

Why do I still own it?

This is Ridley Scott at his best - I think it is right up there with Alien and Blade Runner. Every shot is a work of art - as the troops storm into Mogadishu and the helicopter crashes down. Personally I adore the birds-eye-view shots on the streets as the troops walk down one street ... and the terrorists plough down a parrallel street. The cast is flawless - Orlando Bloom in his best role (whoa! and he's gone...), Ewan Mcgregor, Eric Bana, William Fichter, the security-guard from 24, amongst many, many others. I am deliberately leaving out Josh Hartnett. His teen heartthrob credentials make him a loser in this film.

Remember - you can always email The Simon and Jo Film Show directly using this email: simonandjoshow@gmail.com
We are also on Twitter  and Facebook.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

4 comments:

  1. I liked how the editing was nuts, but it still kept up with all the crazy action that was going on. I also wished that there was more character development, but it's all good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon the Movie Moxie01 February, 2011 23:07

    At #24 I feel late to the game saying that I totally dig this idea! What an interesting way to reflect & share your film views and insights. I wish I thought of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a huge task - I don't think I realised how big a job it is! Suffice to say, I have a couple of rules (the ATONEMENT post explains these) and I shall create a page for easy accessin due course. Maybe - if I can - I should take a picture of the shelving unit and have it 'clickable'. That would be difficult ... that would be my wish anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right! the editing was nuts - something that made it so good (was it same dude who worked on the bourne films?). the character development though seemed unnneccessary - it was an ensemble cast so that'll affect such a thing, but its about the situation more than the people i thought

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.