Saturday 5 February 2011

A-Z #28: Braveheart

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and justifying why I own the films... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#28 - Braveheart 

Why did I buy it?

Oscar-Winner. Best Picture. All that jargon. Other than that, epic-Scottish war films are not really my thing. I hadn't seen it before hand and - upon watching the 50min documentary on the second disc - it is one of the worst 'double-disc' boxes I have ever bought. I hear the Blu-ray is better.

Why do I still own it?
 
Ever the completist, alongside Apocalypto and Passion of the Christ - with this - I have all of Gibsons films. But I mujst admit I haven't seen it much since the first watch. I watched it a second time with my Mum and - in the same evening -  we watched the aforementioned documentary (Rubbish). Additionally I own a bunch of Best Pictures, so i guess, thats another plus point. Then again, I own Shakespeare in Love in a crappy boxset with Vanity Fair and Marie Antoinette (it was £3! what can I say? I wanted to watch the film and the cheapness meant that I might as well buy it....) and have every intention of selling that at the earliest opportunity. 
Other than the completist factors, there is not much reason to keep it - is it important enough to keep?

Remember - you can always email The Simon and Jo Film Show directly using this email: simonandjoshow@gmail.com
We are also on Twitter  and Facebook.

Large Association of Movie Blogs


2 comments:

  1. Great stuff here! It always get said as the worst Best Picture winner, but I think it's honestly one of the better ones of the 90's cause it is just so nicely done. Gibson really is a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was that 'epic' time in Oscar History - similar time to THE ENGLISH PATIENT, GLADIATOR and SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE. So, additionally, it was that love affair with the British Isles too!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.