Monday 14 February 2011

A-Z #35: Casablanca

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em




#35 - Casablanca 

Why did I buy it?

I did buy this without having seen it and only knowing the critical acclaim. Always seen as on of those untouchable 'Greatest Films of All Time', it was only a short film and I thought, sure, why not. A sweet double-disc, shiney-cardboard edition was released with insightful documentaries and, interestingly, a Looney Tunes homage called Carrotblanca.

Why do I still own it?
 
Because it truly is incredible. Since purchasing the film, way back in 2005, I have watched it mnay times and even - how perfect is this - watched it with Sarah for a Valentines Day evening of romance. The film is crammed full of classic lines - "Play it again, Sam" not one of them (historical factoid, he says "play it Sam" but at no point says the famous oft-quoted "Play it again, Sam") - such as "of all the bars in all the world..." etc, etc. Romanticand yet, I think, the film is incredibly masculine - the strong central Humphrey Bogart choosing to be without love, so she can have the life she wants.
 
To finish, I will quote a line that Peter Lorre delivers - my favourite character - to Bogie shortly before Bergman walks into Rick's bar:
 
 
Put on the accent, and sound as slimy as you can - and you have my favourite moment.
 
Maybe classics are not that important? Maybe this is vastly overrated? Is it really worth keeping?
  

Remember - you can always email The Simon and Jo Film Show directly using this email: simonandjoshow@gmail.com
We are also on Twitter  and Facebook.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

“You know, Rick, I have many a friend in Casablanca, but somehow, just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.”

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this a few years ago - on a big screen fortunately - second to only The Godfather as the best American film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to watch this on a big-screen. I managed to watch Godfather Part II on a cinema screen... but CASABLANCA, that would be incredible. I reckon there could be a huge discussion about comparing BRIEF ENCOUNTER with CASABLANCA.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.