Monday 7 March 2011

A-Z #49: Collateral

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#49 - Collateral 

Why did I buy it?

Michael Mann has always been deemed important. The fact that he brought together Pacino and De Niro, and directed the first scene they shared in Heat, is quite the achievement. But, if I am honest, at the time I had not seen Heat. Or Last of the Mohicans. Or Manhunter. In fact, the biggest pull for me to this film was Tom Cruise as a bad guy. I think that all the promotional material did showcase the style and image of the film - which is primarily down to Michael Mann and his cinematographers Dion Beebe and Paul Cameron. I watched the film at the cinema and I even ordered it for the day of release back in the hey-day of my University life.

Why do I still own it?

Because it is truly a great film. Small-scale story: Two guys in a taxi - one's a killer, one's not. Not only that, but Mark Ruffalo plays the 'hero'-cop who knows what-is-going-on and, in the same way, you watch him intently. Having said how much I love the film, it also plays an important role in my relationship with Sarah - as it was the first film we watched together. I won't get too goo-ey with this, but it replaced what should have been a viewing of Goodfellas at the last moment (because it arrived in the post that very day).

Is Cruise-as-killer a load of bull? Is Foxx-as-everyman ring untrue? I think not, but you may disagree... yay of nay?
Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. This IS a great film. It's the only movie Mann has made digitally that looks good, and it has what I think is my favourite Tom Cruise performance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately my favourite Cruise performance! and the digital-ness of Michael Mann was a great asset. Shame it was followed up by MIAMI VICE...

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.