Sunday 17 April 2011

A-Z #69: E.T.

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#69 - E.T. 

Why did I buy it?

This was tough to get hold of. In the initial release, they released two versions. One which was a two-disc 'Special Edition' version of the film ... whilst another, special-er edition, had three discs... the third disc including the original theatrical cut. And believe me... you need the theatrical cut. Because no one wants to see full-body completely-CGI E.T. muckin' around in the bathroom. It. Is. Crap.

Why do I still own it?

Because it is an example of pure entertainment of an exceptionally high level. Spielberg, at this point, knew exactly what he was doing. John Williams, composing, knew exactly what he was doing. Even E.T. himself, modelled as a combo between Mother Theresa and Einstein. With Hair. Perfectly pitched. Close Encounters of the Third Kind showed Spielberg exploring a similar event from the eyes of an adult - an adult who becomes obsessed with the visitor, whilst E.T. shows the childs perspective as they become friends with the visitor and even learn to love the visitor. Who wouldn't own this film?

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. I don't own it, but I probably should. Never knew that it got all Lucas-ed with a CGI E.T. WTF?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, seriously, check it out. It is awful.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.