Wednesday 20 April 2011

A-Z #70: Easy Rider

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#70 - Easy Rider 

Why did I buy it?

At the time I was reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind I had not seen this film so, prior to reading, I knew I had to watch the film and did so on a rental. I was blown away and checked out what versions were available... suffice to say that there was Special Edition with the original DVD disc and a documentary-disc on Peter Biskinds acclaimed book Easy Riders, Raging Bulls which included interviews with Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda. To top it off, included in the sweet edition was the BFI Classic on the film written by Lee Hill. I couldn't be more impressed.

Why do I still own it?

Since watching it once, I have watched the film multiple times and it has so many facsinating insights into the time-period and profound statements about the world - how can we live in harmony with the world? What is America [in the late-1960's]? Some astounding performances from Hopper, Fonda and - most importantly - Jack Nicholson as the free-spirit alcoholic-lawyer with his definition of what freedom truly is. The film is littered with iconic moments - from Phil Spector making the drug-deal in the first instance and the Steppenwolf title-sequence straight through to the infamous ending. I could watch it again and again ...

Large Association of Movie Blogs

3 comments:

  1. Wow, glad to hear somebody else who loves it. Most people I know rebel against its canonic status and say it's overrated.
    That one line "we blew it man" just says it all. It completely encapsulates the sixties, the counter-culture in the US, as well as the fallout from May 68 in France, Britain and the whole of the western world.
    Those baby boomers could have used their numbers, their influence, their youth and their ideals to change the world for the better, but the they decided to get shit-faced in Mardi Gras.
    For Hopper et al to have seen this happening within the time, as sixties enthusiasm was just about to decline, rather than retrospectively looking back was amazing intuition and foresight. It must have been even more frustrating to themselves seeing that better future slipping away and that they hadn't done more.
    Twitter: @destroyapathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy this as well and think there's definitely something to be said for its iconic status. Hopper is absolutely amazing and Fonda and Nicholson just step up to match its style. I would love to see the original cut of this which I've heard is upwards of three hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mike - indeed, it is an incredible. I doubt it will ever lose its credability or historical importance!

    @Univarn - I dunno about 3-hours. I think 3-hours of bike-riding and drug binges might get a bit much after everything!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.